Saturday, October 3, 2009

Leavin' and Leafin'

In a few hours I will board the first of three westbound planes so that I can end up in the Far East (sounds backward, doesn't it?). I am ready and excited, but also a bit sad about what I leave behind. I have only lived in Flagstaff since December and yet I feel more at home here than I have many other places....the power of the people, the Peaks, the Canyon, the trees and the wind in this part of the world is palpable and I am SO grateful to have been led here. I will be happy to have a place like this to return to....


                                View from Lockett Meadow - 10/2/09


I hiked to the Inner Basin yesterday in search of fall's bounty and I found it in the form of rich golden, amber and burnt orange leaves quaking in the wind on the arms of magical aspen beings.This time in the mountains energized me and pressed my internal reset button (as time in nature always does), re-centering and preparing me for all that is to come.



I'm psyched for this pilgrimage and I have no doubt it is the right thing to be doing at this point and time. While hiking yesterday, however, I realized that a lot can happen in 3 months...I am curious what will happen for those I love during that time - my family and friends - knowing I will miss chances to laugh, cry and just be with them. We say that fall is a time of change, but really the only constant is change ...things are always morphing, growing, dying, becoming, beginning, and ending and it goes on whether we are there or not.

And so, as I embark on this journey, I will do my best to be in the moment, to be fully present where I am - whether hiking in the Himalaya or splashing in the waves off of Bali.....of course, my thoughts and love and a piece of my heart will be always be with my family and friends even if i am thousands of miles away.....

Love and light and Himalayan hugs!



Exasperated Q amidst all our gear in my living room

1 comment: