Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why "Ripples Make Waves"?



Namaste and welcome! I grew up with my Mom (an amazing woman, by the way) telling me ‘The Starfish Story’. It goes something like this:

One day a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a woman going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this woman went. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.

The man was struck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached, the woman continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

The man said, "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The woman looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said, "It sure made a difference to that one!"

This tale has stuck with me my entire life and has driven much of what I do and how I approach my time on this earth.


A similar idea –‘ripples make waves’ – guides my daily life and is the reason for the name of my blog. If you’ve ever spent time next to a lake and watched the first raindrops of a summer storm fall gently to the earth or if you’ve ever sat by a pool and seen a child gleefully cannonball into the water, you’ve seen this priniciple in action... What begins as a gentle raindrop or a small child, quickly creates an impact throughout the entire body of water. I live my daily life with this in mind….every action, every thought, every word, every bit of energy that I send out is a raindrop - extending beyond just me - creating a ripple. Only I am in control of that first drop of rain and the vibration it will carry. I choose if it will be positive or not.


Everyday is a journey for each of us with boundless opportunities to create positive, loving, sweet ripples that will ideally gain momentum and become incredible waves of compassion and kindness. This can happen in a simple interaction at the grocery store, how we decide to respond to traffic, a smile we give to a stranger and on and on. Realizing this sure adds to the importance of each seemingly small action throughout the day, doesn't it? 


In 2 days (yikes!) I am about to embark on a more defined journey. I'll be traveling for the next 3 months to amazing and sacred lands in Nepal, Thailand, Bali and wherever else the wind happens to guide me. I know that much of this journey will occur within me as I explore my internal landscape and traverse new terrain - terrain that I have never before explored, but that has always been inside.


As I do this I intend to be especially mindful of the ripples that I create and will make sure they are positive and true. I am by no means looking to save the world by taking this trip and I have no grandiose beliefs about the impact of my time on this earth. I am, however, conscious that what I do and think and the energy I cultivate within me does matter, does make a difference – even if to just one person, starfish or place. Thanks for joining me on this journey.  



3 comments:

  1. chrissy- you are an amazing, inciteful and deep woman! what a way to start your journey - i am so proud of you especially the way you set your sites on a dream and then make it happen.... all while sending beautiful ripples our way! i love you and hope your trip will be all that you want it to be... and fyi you will always be CHRISSY to me. love you helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, you speak a wonderful truth and your energy and ripples preceed you in creating a wonderful trip and world for your to enjoy and explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya Chris! I love this post and how true your words are... I have witnessed the ripples that you create and I speak from experience they do cause positive waves amongst the ones who share experiences with you! I'm honored to join you on this journey and I hope that with our combined droplets we will create a positive tsunami on those we encounter...

    XO,
    Q

    ReplyDelete